- Book your hotel through the MS TechEd site. These are the best rates and any of these hotels will have guaranteed (free) bus service to the conference (unless TechEd is being held in Boston. Those of you who were there know what I'm talking about.). I like the Embassy Suites on Jamaican Court. It's close, nice rooms and has a great free breakfast (although food is NEVER a problem at TechEd).
- Pack your suitcase inside another suitcase to travel to TechEd. That way you will have a another BIG suitcase to bring back your swag.
- Don't rent a car unless you need one. Some hotels offer transportation to/from the airport, otherwise take a cab. Most hotels have car rentals in the lobby, so you can always rent one if needed.
- When the TechEd courses go online on the Connect site, review them and sign up for all the ones you want to attend, even if they overlap times. That way, you can always leave a session that doesn't live up to your expectations for a different one. Be aware that some sessions book up full.
- Wear comfortable clothes and shoes. The venue is climate controlled, so dress for 20C/72F.
- Try to stay a couple of days before or after the event to visit some sites. I HIGHLY recommend renting a car and visiting the Kennedy Space Center in Cape Canaveral (about 40 minutes away). We got to see Atlantis launch last year and it was absolutely awesome!
- Plan on and attend the appreciation party on Thursday night.
- Visit this blog often for pictures, reviews and commentary.
- If you're from Europe and you're a guy, DO NOT wear capris. I will point at you and laugh out loud.
TechEd 2008 Tips
Friday, January 25, 2008
This year will be my fifth TechEd. Here are my tips for a happy and productive experience.