If you run both Lync 2013 and Chrome on Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 you will find that TEL links open with Chrome instead of the Lync client. TEL links are hyperlinks used by Lync for one-click dialing. For example: tel:14155551212
Here's how to fix it:
- Open an elevated CMD prompt and run the following command:
reg add "HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Office\15.0\Lync\Capabilities\URLAssociations" /v TEL /d "callto"
- Now you are able to change the TEL protocol association to Lync 2013. Press the Windows key and type "Default Programs" to open the Default Programs utility. Then click "Associate a file or protocol with a program."
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and select TEL under the Protocols section.
- Click the Change Program button and set Lync (desktop) as the default program. You will now see that Lync is the default program for the Tel protocol.
- Click the Close button and close the Default Programs utility.